Monday, May 30, 2011

3 new avatars

Image: Frank-the-mouse, apparently at a loss for words, points to something to his left behind him, with his left hand, while starting to make a pleading gesture with his right hand.

Take a good look at this image. Okay, I know there's not much to look at, but try to guess what it reminds you of. I'll give you a hint: it's something on this blog.

Image: A tan-colored bunny whines while pointing at something to his left behind him, with his left "hand", while still keeping his right "hand" near the floor to catch himself in case he loses his balance.

Whiney avatar

Yes, that's right. I tried to put my avatar into the whining pose. I'd been wanting to do it for quite some time, but it wasn't until I actually was about to make a comment where it would fit that I set out to do it. I started making the big open mouth, then stopped myself, realizing it just didn't fit the character. I went with what you saw above, thinking it not only wouldn't break the character, but would also be easier to do.

I was wrong.

For starters, I needed to strike a balance between the fact that mice's arms are too short to reach things behind them (yes, that means that he wasn't actually clasping his hands behind his back in Something to tell you) and the fact that the image needs to still make sense at 32 × 32 pixels.

Then there was the fact that I had no pointing hands I could copy and paste.

Image: Frank-the-mouse, facing right, raises a finger to utter something.

Okay, I did have pointing hands, but none from the right angle (notice the image shows the back of the hand; I needed the front). It took me a couple of hours to get the all the fingers in the hand right.

Nervous avatar

Image: Frank out of the corner of his eye, his pupils dilated, his tail between his legs, his molars visible and nearly chattering, his hand nervously curled by his neck; and yet, his ears remain alert.

There are some pretty scary things out on the internet. Some of them are in what otherwise would be mundane comments section! So, obviously, I've been needing a way to show when comments creep me out for quite a while. So far, the text is self-explanatory, but today I made many comments where it isn't. So, using the same trick I did in How did you do that, I made those comments, setting the avatar to something I already had, and set myself to work making the image that would replace it in those particular comments.

I was, in fact, originally going to simply colorize the 6th panel of my christmas special (3rd panel from the end) but, of course, there was the problem of changing his clothes, and that the hand would most likely be cropped out. I instead used the hand to add to the nervousness, and now I'm wondering if part of the creeped-out-ness (or, should I say, "creepiness"?) that this expresses is that it has more detail than any of the others.

Shrugging it off

Image: Frank-the-mouse leans forward, passing his right hand in a sweeping motion. His left hand and his tail just sort of dangle.

Effectively the result of flipping around the fourth image in last year's birthday sequence. I don' think there's much to say about this one, except that I also had been wanting to do it for quite some time.

1 comment:

  1. The trouble with designing a character is that you can find out later that it won't fit the pose you want and you have to resort to stretching or distorting some parts. Luckily cartoon characters are quite flexible.

    ReplyDelete